Favorites

Friday, April 17, 2015

Katie Wilson: Painting the Figure

The art of Katie Wilson is featured in the upcoming summer issue of Stone Voices (Contemplative Art). Her painting process involves putting down paper collage using old wallpaper, decorative paper, and pages from books; laying in the drawing; and then pushing paint around, but not always in that order. Working with collage pushes her to be innovative and encourages spontaneous color, pattern, and texture.

My initial enthusiasm to paint the figure came when I acquired my grandmother’s childhood family photo album. I was compelled to bring the people of her world into my own through my painting, and I felt a need to get to know her, her friends, her backyard, her mother. I became familiar with what she wore to school and what her brothers wore to picnics. The album tells a story and I wanted to be a part of it. I was fascinated and excited to bring color and life to the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment