Favorites

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Christopher Woods: Spirits and Houses

Christopher Woods' portfolio appears in the spring 2015 issue of Stone Voices.

There are spirits all around us. On lonely country roads, in the woods, and in memory. I have a distinct feeling that spirits are also drawn to our dwelling places. ■ I did not always think this way. I was not an unbeliever, but I simply had not thought about it until I began photographing old abandoned houses and buildings in rural areas. Decrepit, lonely places. I was drawn to them — broken windows, sagging roofs, overgrown yards and fields. No one lived in these places. No one was there. ■ Or so I thought. The more I was around old houses and buildings, the more I felt a presence. There is a primal need for place, and after spending time around old houses, sheds, barns, and railroad buildings, I came to realize that even spirits are hard pressed to give way, to go without place. What is left if we give up our only place? ■ I don’t know if you will see spirits in these photographs. I don’t know if I can. But I can tell you one thing. I feel them. There is an energy and lasting human desire in these places. Still. ■ Look around you, under your own roof. What would you do if you couldn’t be there any longer? You might linger too.


Link to Christopher's portfolio in Stone Voices.



Note - We received this lovely and much appreciated note from Christopher: I want you to know that the portfolio of my photographs is simply awesome. Such a nice and generous layout. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. This is the nicest thing to ever happen to my photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment