Favorites

Monday, February 25, 2013

Laurie McCormick Has Best Portfolio


Early Morning B-rush
[Enlarge]

Still Point Art Gallery is currently showing Ordinary Everyday Objects. Photographer Laurie McCormick received the award Best in Show—Portfolio for six images in the exhibition that are from her extensive series, Miniature Moments in My Daily Life. (Three of these are shown to the left.) 




Rockin' Out
[Enlarge]
These images utilize everyday objects like toothpaste, cereal and milk, and an ipod as well as miniature figures to explore activities and events of everyday living. Any viewer is sure to find him or herself in at least one of the images in this series, thus getting an opportunity for self-observation and reflection. These images are powerful in their ability to point to what lies beyond everyday objects to the depth of feelings and attitudes often hidden by our objects.



The Cheerios Affair
[Enlarge]
Laurie McCormick has been interested in photography for her entire life. She developed her skills as a photographer by attending classes at several different colleges around the country. However, with the purchase of her Digital Canon 5D, photography became a much more serious matter and her photography skills and interests developed very quickly. Among other things, this camera gave her the creative capacity to travel within the United States and worldwide and satisfy her desire to encapsulate the essence of a place.

McCormick describes her art in this way:
Photography is my continuous lesson of living in the moment. Not looking back at the fading light or turned head; just keeping it real with what is now, in the present. I capture that moment as I see it from my angle and I bring my unique personal history to that instant when I capture each photograph. . . . What pleases me most is how my pictures illicit strong responses from those that view them. It brings me great satisfaction to please and entertain others. This is what gives me purpose.

McCormick’s work, along with that of twenty-nine other artists, may be viewed through April 30, 2013 in Still Point Art Gallery’s online exhibition.

McCormick's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment