Favorites

Friday, April 02, 2010

Final Thoughts on Geometric Abstraction

Still Point Art Gallery's Geometric Abstraction closes April 6, 2010, so only a few days remain to see this amazing online exhibition. Shape, design, structure, line, angle, color...it's all here. It's worth a visit. 

100 Buttons by Susan Gainen, (9x6) watercolor, framed $450
Composition Study by Lisa Brugger, (19x13) digital print, not framed $300
Twister by Mani Narayan, (24x36) acrylic on canvas, $3500

I always hope that people who view the exhibitions in my online gallery enjoy the fabulous fine art and, perhaps, see something just a bit beyond the art. There is a reason for selecting art on the basis of a theme and carefully choosing the pieces that will show together on a particular page. I'm creating an exhibition that not only best presents each individual piece of art, but also attempts to be something as an entire exhibition. I hope that viewers see that aspect of Still Point Art Gallery.


Childhood/Hemp Rope by Tung Sheng-Ho (30x30) oil on canvas, $3500
Colored Squares by Sara Williams (16x20) photography, framed $500
Warp by Ione Citrin (21x 25) acrylic on canvas, framed $1000

I've said before that I was drawn to do this particular exhibition because I like geometry...I like the orderliness that geometry brings to our world...it seemed that it would be an interesting and fun exhibition. Then, as the art submissions began to come in, I learned that my view of geometric art had been a bit narrow. What had I missed? Where had I been? I almost could not believe the incredibly creative ways that artists incorporate geometric shapes into their art.



Construction/Deconstruction by Elissa Burr (detail) ceramic, $400
sq6p by Bob Solete (20x20) digital print, not framed $200
Construction/Deconstruction by Elissa Burr (detail) ceramic, $400

I try to take something away from each exhibition at my gallery. This exhibition made me examine the nature of preconceived ideas, definitions, and views. Where had my definition of geometric art come from? How can I/we be sure that we keep ourselves always ready to push the boundaries of our views? If we do, we might discover something really amazing.

Return to Still Point Art Gallery

Christine Brooks Cote
Still Point Art Gallery
April 2, 2010

2 comments: