Favorites

Friday, March 12, 2010

Mikel Patrik Creates Spectacular Geometric Designs

When I first announced the Geometric Abstraction exhibition, I mentioned in this blog that I loved geometry even back in high school. I like the orderliness and crispness of geometric shapes. I like the way that geometric shapes can combine to create other geometric shapes. I like that so many different things can be used to create geometric shapes - cloth, paint, wood, plastic, paper, etc. I like the inherent abstractness of geometric art, and I like the energy of geometric art.

All of which leads me to the art of Mikel Patrik. Patrik contributed three amazing pieces for Geometric Abstraction, currently showing at Still Point Art Gallery. I very much enjoy Patrik's work because it appeals to my sense of orderliness, precision, and crispness. His creations are clearly well planned and flawlessly executed. But Patrik's work is anything but formulaic and dull. His pieces are interesting, even captivating. They pulsate with life, energy, and vitality. Yet, the genius of Patrik is that he accomplishes this with relatively simple designs and often very few colors. His work is in a way so simple...but also so very spectacular.



Stitch-Cool, Stitch-MPL, Prism-Random

I asked Mikel Patrik to tell me some things about his background and his art:
My formal education and professional practice as an architect have allowed me to appreciate the importance of color and form. As in architecture, minute details and large gestures work together to create a unique expression. My initial design concepts are likewise intended to be successful in the smallest of scales to the largest of statements.
 

The opportunity to explore my passion for fine art became a reality in 2008. It was then that I first studied my concept Pixel. It was simply an exercise to explore how individual brushstrokes or ‘pixels’ would translate onto canvas. I enjoy the study of color and how certain colors can appear differently when paired next to other colors. As an architect I have knowledge and experience in color theory - this only enhances the sophistication of my art.
Pixel led to Strata as it was my inherent desire for my paintings to be clean, simple and precise. Although Strata is simple in concept, it becomes dimensional with decisions of line placement, change in color and width of adjacent lines. I’ve always been intrigued with the simplicity of geometric forms and expressions. This led to my exploration of Stitch - what would happen if I study Strata in ‘both’ directions on the same canvas. The result is a fusion of lines, squares and rectangles. The nature of Stitch provides an exciting dimensional character on canvas that is far from flat or stagnant. It really becomes a woven fabric of color across the surface. The various options are limitless!

As I progressed, I questioned what the result would be if I ‘controlled’ the placement of lines in a more uniform and exact process. Stitch-MPL is a culmination of this controlled process in which I start from the center of the canvas with one thin line. The work evolves to the edge of the canvas. Limiting the color palette to two colors results in a geometric ‘spiral’ – almost mathematical in nature. Again, the options become limitless.


. . .  I consider my exploration into art as nothing more than exercises of color, scale and proportion; I do not have an underlying ‘statement’ or philosophy. All of my art is titled simply by its concept, color, and size. There are no underlying messages or stories or emotions in my art. Viewers have complete liberty to perceive and feel whatever comes to mind.

Stitch-Cool (36x36), acrylic on canvas, $2933
Stitch-MPL (36x36), acrylic on canvas, $2933
Prism-Random (24x24), acrylic on canvas, $933

View the entire Geometric Abstraction show


Still Point Art Gallery
March 12, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment