Favorites

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Regina Davidson Named Artist of Distinction in Geometric Abstraction Exhibition

Regina Davidson contributed three pieces to Still Point Art Gallery's exhibition, Geometric Abstraction, for which she has been named an Artist of Distinction. Davidson's work is filled with geometric shapes - triangles, squares, rectangles, polygons, and circles. Her work, however, is filled with much more than geometric shapes. The composition of Davidson's work is so strong...composition being the combination of color, texture, line, space, shape, and more to form the whole...the composition is so strong that the geometric shapes do not and need not be flagrant. Geometric shape is not what Davidson's pieces are about. Yet they form a perfect basis or a surface or a podium for Davidson's stories and creations.

 
 Blue Wood, Miami, Circles



I asked Davidson some questions about her art and her life as an artist.

Christine Cote: What led you to become an artist?
Regina Davidson: I have no memories of becoming an artist.  It seems as if I drew and made marks in my earliest childhood memories. The decision was more about embracing the fact that I was an artist. After much soul searching, I decided that I had to be true to my calling in life and silence the art critic inside myself.

CC: Could you say something about the pieces you submitted for this show, giving, if you would, some mention of their connection to the theme of this exhibition?
RD: When I create, my inner child is let lose to do whatever she pleases with the paint for that particular day. My best pieces come about freely and without a deadline or a set agenda. Once a painting is finished, then it is my job to find the right audience, gallery, or venue for it. Once I find the right connection, then I am like a match maker that has made the perfect match. When I read about the Geometric Abstraction exhibit, I knew these pieces were perfect for it. It seemed as if they were painted just for this exhibition.

CC: I would certainly agree with that! How has your style developed or evolved over time?
RD: I make more of an effort now to be true to myself and to tap into what is in my subconscious state. Deep within myself there is no one telling me what to paint and how to paint it. There is no pressure to sell or be validated. There is just myself and the paint. When I can tap into that place within myself where there are no critics, I can create without effort or pressure. That is when I am free to be me. It sounds simple, but it is the hardest thing for me to do. I hope to get better at it with each painting.

CC: From where do you draw inspiration for your work? What inspired the pieces in this exhibition?
RD: I try to have the same philosophy Picasso had and to learn to paint freely like a child. I try to be fearless of color and use combinations as bold as Matisse. I strive to use bold strokes that are as simple and perfectly placed as in a painting by Kline. But, most of all I try to tap into what comes out naturally without being too cerebral about it.

CC: Is there anything you want people to know about you or your work?
RD: I have a very down to earth approach and hope to never write an artist statement in which some one reads it and asks, What the hell did that mean? Art is meant to be enjoyed by all and I want to remain approachable. I think that sometimes rather than speaking to people in our art, artists attempt to make their work speak only to the elite or the Mensa members of the world. What ever happened to people wanting to enjoy looking at a painting because it makes them happy?  ...Or just because they like it?


Biography - Regina Davidson

Regina Davidson has had murals on display in numerous Nashville show homes and has made five appearances on the Home and Garden Channel to demonstrate her painting abilities. Mrs. Davidson’s paintings and murals can be found in businesses throughout the middle Tennessee area, including Brinkman’s Wine and Spirits of Franklin, The Italian GrilleMappes Orthodontics of Bellevue. In addition, some of her newest works can be found at The Harpeth Art Center and Gallery of Pegram, Tennessee. Her life’s passion is learning new art techniques and avenues for creative expression. Regina was born in Nashville, Tennessee in 1969.  She received a B.F.A. from Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, Tennessee In 1991. of Waynesboro, and

Blue Wood (19 x 24), acrylics on mixed materials, $350
Miami (26 x 26), acrylics on clay, $655
Circles (26 x 26), acrylics, $450


Still Point Art Gallery
February 10, 2010

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Davidson's reply to the last question displays a very healthy attitude. Wishing her a lot of success.

    ReplyDelete