Favorites

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Call for Artists - Still Point II

Still Point Art Gallery invites submissions from emerging and established artists for its upcoming exhibition - Still Point II. 
Deadline - March 22, 2010

One year ago I was announcing a call to artists for Still Point Art Gallery's inaugural exhibition - Still Point I. I had great hope that the following year would be a success, and I would be announcing a call for Still Point II a year later. The past year has been wonderful, and here I am presenting the theme and calling artists for Still Point II.
One way of thinking about visual art is that the artist finds or discovers something - be it inside or outside of the artist - and, through art, holds it still. A photographer captures a moment in time with a click of the shutter and that moment is locked in stillness. A painter paints a scene using oils on canvas and that scene exists forever in a motionless state. A sculptor molds and shapes details of a human body, and that body stands frozen...never to age...never to change.
Still Point II is the second annual exhibition focused on exploring those things that artists, through art, hold still.

I looked back in my blog to an entry from last February in which I wrote about my thoughts related to the Still Point I exhibition. Those thoughts are of course relevant to Still Point II and are worth repeating.

As visual artists, most of us bring something to stillness through our art. As a photographer, I am very aware that this is happening. Landscapes, skyscapes, flora, portraits, street photography...a photo captures a moment in time. Whatever is before me when I take a picture, whatever is happening in that moment...is caught and held still. With the slight movement of my finger and the audible click of the shutter, I feel the action of capture. What I capture with my camera and later print on paper is literally a moment frozen in time...a moment brought to stillness.

The same is true of artists who draw, paint, weave, or sculpt...working plein air or in the studio, creating realistic, impressionistic, or abstract pieces. The pencil scratches on the paper, the brush glides over the canvas, or the hands work with the clay. No matter the medium, the end result is a work of art through which something is brought to stillness.
Perhaps because our lives are so often in motion, the artist has learned that his or her joy and contentment are found in being aware at some level of bringing moments to stillness.

Perhaps this is why an artist has no choice but to make art; that desire for joy and contentment is so strong. And why are so many drawn to look at art, enjoy it, own it, collect it? Can we say that both the artist and those drawn to art to enjoy it do so to seek and find the Still Point?

Wacker Drive #2 by John Luesing (from Still Point I)


Still Point Art Gallery
February 24, 2010

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea of stillness. It's been one of the themes in my work. It comes from the idea of being in the "now". Being still, is being present. Some of my titles speak of stillness, such as "Be Still in the Night" and "Sit Down and be Still" .

    ReplyDelete