Favorites

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

ABSTRACT Geometric Shape from the Real World

The snow is coming down quite heavily in Brunswick, Maine today, much the same as it did yesterday. I love the look of the white stuff. I like to see where snow lands...in all the crevices and cracks, on the tiniest of branches and pine needles, or piling up in mounds on rocks, fence posts, and roofs. I had the chance yesterday to get out on my snowshoes for a walk in the woods and decided it was a great day to take my camera. The conditions were just right and I was in the right frame of mind for seeing...and I see best when I have my camera. When I have my camera and I'm on the lookout for composition, I see the world around me better. I find myself completely focused on what is around me. I look at the visual world in front of me and think of nothing else. The camera is my tool for seeing.

So what did I see? Geometry! I spent all of yesterday morning processing submissions for the upcoming exhibition, Geometric Abstractions. So, I was seeing geometric shapes everywhere I looked! But, geometric shapes indeed are everywhere we look! A couple of trees lined up a certain way in relation to the snow-white ground...a triangle! Various small branches intertwined against a background of snow...several triangles! A brown flower top that has bent around to form a circle! Snow resting on some old wire fencing...rectangles! Then it hit me yet again...AB-STRACT' geometric shape from the real world. That's why geometric abstraction is so interesting and appealing to me. It's right in front of us...we just have to see it.

Return to Still Point Art Gallery

Christine Brooks Cote
Still Point Art Gallery
January 19, 2010

1 comment:

  1. Hi! what a real geometric abstraction curator...
    I am a abstraction paiter but too late for this news! should check out your blog more often.
    good luck with the show!

    ReplyDelete