Favorites

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rae Broyles Named Artist of Distinction in Dwellings Exhibition

Rae Broyles has three magnificent pieces in the Dwellings show at Still Point Art Gallery, which opened June 22, 2009. For this reason she was named an Artist of Distinction and will show more of her art during 2010. Her pieces in the Dwellings exhibition are of houses, seemingly old houses, and are titled Ancient Thoughts, Pink House, and Desolation. The houses are painted to appear structurally sound, and they stand tall and proud within their framed boundaries. The apparent strength of the houses is enhanced by the bold colors of these pieces - green and orange skies, a magenta roof, purplish siding on one of the houses. These old houses demand attention. These old houses wear their years well.



Rae Broyles studied at the Rhode Island School of Design and The Academy of Art in Chicago. Born in Chicago, Rae has lived and participated in workshops throughout the country and in the South of France at Moulin de Perot. She has enjoyed a long career in graphic design, marketing and creative direction and has recently completely rededicated herself to painting.

Painting has been in Rae's family for many generations. Her father was a student of Norman Rockwell, and the family can trace its roots back to the sixteen-century Danish painter Jens Juel. Rae currently lives in Roswell, Georgia with her husband, Matthew, and two children, Britta and Kristof.

Rae says about her art:
My art is my energy. It is truly a sensual and stimulating experience when I create each piece. There is nothing else that makes me feel the way I do when I paint. I have a physical burst of adrenaline, endorphins, fear and pride combined.

Born to a long line of painters, I have felt the intense urge to create since childhood. There have been many times in life, however, when I have had to temper the flow of creativity to adapt to the world around me. I spent twenty years in the world of marketing and design, creating with a distinct purpose and numerous limitations. As I have matured in my art, this is no longer fulfilling the passion I need and I am now fully experiencing the depth and intensity of my artistic passions.

Encaustic painting has allowed me to indulge my fascination with the dimensional while adding a complex variety of elements and depth to the colors I work with. Oils keep me grounded in the process and technique that remains of utmost importance to me.

- - - - - - -
I asked Rae a few questions about her art:

Christine (Gallery): How would you describe your style? What draws you to your particular style of art?

Rae: I am always trying to create something new or re-purposed with an element of uniqueness. I have a hard time staying within the boundaries of landscape, portrait or still life, but at the same time, I have no desire to shock my audience into viewing my work through
subject matter. A pleasant and/or unusual color palette, loose brush strokes and interesting mediums and surfaces are a constant in my work.

Christine: What are you seeking to express through your art?

Rae: Painting is not so much an expression of "something" for me. It is a need and passion I fulfill within myself. If I can please the audience, it's icing on the cake.

Christine: What is the inspiration for your subjects...what inspired the subjects of the pieces in the Dwellings exhibition?

Rae: My images of deserted dwellings are an homage to the past and all the flurry of activity that once resided within them. The pop art type solarization of the images brings them new life and creates an eerie contrast to the dim reality that these types of dwellings are nearly extinct. I re-purpose them into a modern artwork so their architectural beauty will live on.

- - - - - - -

Desolation, Pink House, and Ancient Thoughts are Photo Encaustics, each 18" x 18", and each available from Still Point Art Gallery for $450. Contact Christine Cote by email or by phone (207.837.5760).

Return to Still Point Art Gallery

Christine Cote
Still Point Art Gallery
June 22, 2009



No comments:

Post a Comment