Favorites

Friday, April 17, 2009

Abstract Artists Talk About Their Work at Still Point Art Gallery

Still Point I, the inaugural exhibition of Still Point Art Gallery, explores those things that artists, through their art, hold still. In this post we hear from abstract artists for whom what is held still is not something easily seen or conceptualized. These artists are Diana Cadwallader, an artist and graphic designer; Constance Humphries, a painter; John R. Math, a photographer; and Wolfgang Schweizer, also a painter. Be sure to see their work in the Gallery.


Diana Cadwallader, from Jacksonville, Alabama...
My work is mostly abstract or nonrepresentational; in it I recall, record, and imagine places and states of mind. It is also about the observation of small wonders—mostly seen in nature.

Color is my predominant element. I also look to solve formal problems such as balance, and how soft and hard edges come together in a piece when transparency is used. I intend my “line pieces” to be seen differently from a distance and close up. The work is labor intensive as most of the lines are multi-layered. Nevertheless, I want to spend time with the work, letting it grow until it takes on a life of its own. And yes, in my line series, I use a rule.

My recent pieces explore sacred subjects: “Stabat Mater” is about the sorrows of the Virgin Mary and “Vigil” refers to the night watches of the “Officium Divinum.”

Constance Humphries, from Asheville, North Carolina...

Drawing is the primary element in my work. It gives me direct access to my impulses through the immediacy and personal quality of mark-making. Exploring form, memory and imagination through the creation of ambiguous clusters, the work describes the connections and interdependencies of life.

The process of creating the work is such that it develops organically. Working intuitively and spontaneously, which allows the subconscious and imagination to take over, each mark suggests others until the work is completed. This is balanced with a slow and careful development of layers that results in a work that is simultaneously formal, random, constrained, loose, deliberate and instinctual.

John R. Math, from Jupiter, Florida...
I specialize in abstract and impressionistic [photographic] landscapes. Being near the ocean, I shoot horizons, seascapes and waves. I also create what I call "Focus Images," which depict the essence of a natural object or place. This essence may be a distinguishable element of an object or an overall feeling that one would derive from being subjected to that particular focus. Overall, my images focus and interpret an identifying element of a natural object or scene. My images are in the form of impressions and abstracts. With my images the viewer has an immediate intrinsic connection. The depiction of these inherent elements provides for and serves as a reminder to us that we are connected to nature through our source and essence.

Wolfgang Schweizer, from Andover, Connecticut...
My field of activity as a painter is to recreate feelings on canvas while leaving the business of exact definition of the world to scientific study. I see life as colorful and not gray. I follow my internal rules of proportion and color, leaving minimalization and elimination concepts behind. Thus the inner music can come forth with no restriction.

I started with realistic paintings, then began to develop abstract scrawlings coming to mind automatically. All begins with one decisive line whether I am using pens, watercolor, oils or acrylic paints. The quiet stillness quickly moves to a harmoniously proportioned canvas leaving each side true to the other.
Return to Still Point Art Gallery

Christine Brooks Cote
Still Point Art Gallery
April 17, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment