Favorites

Friday, February 13, 2009

A Vision for Still Point Art Gallery


Recently I've had some online and offline conversations with people about what possibly makes Still Point Art Gallery unique and how I plan to promote the gallery to bring in both artists and buyers. Well, turns out, these two things are related.

E-commerce is a fact of today’s life. I personally do a lot of my shopping online. I make a point to support the shops in the small town in which I live when I buy clothes, jewelry, gourmet foods, gifts, and other items that are locally available. But I don't have time to travel to the big city to shop for items that I can't get nearby. So, I buy a lot of things online - photography equipment and supplies, shoes, vitamins, books. I also do my banking online, write checks online, and check online to see how little my mutual funds are worth on any given day. Now that I have an iphone, I can be practically anywhere to do these things.

Along with being a gallery owner, I am a fine art photographer (oh, and yes, I still have a day job). I show art fairly regularly in a few local galleries and have also had pieces exhibited in galleries outside of New England. Occasionally I sell a piece of art, and, like all artists, would love to sell more art. Could I or others sell more art by selling online? I’ve been to web marketing workshops for artists, and I've read a number of articles about the topic. (Check out http://www.emptyeasel.com.) It IS possible to sell art online! People are buying art online! Why not? People buy everything else online.

I have been wary of online galleries, especially the ones that sponsor thousands of artists and have what seem like millions of pieces of art, of varying levels of quality. I’m also wary of the online galleries (or any gallery) that make no mention of selling art, only showing the art. So,...

(1)
My plan at Still Point Art Gallery is to come as close as possible to the experience of visiting a physical gallery. We will not have thousands of artists online at once, nor will we have millions of art pieces accessible through a search engine. A relatively small number of artists will have their work online at any one time, and there will be space for artist statements and interviews. Viewers will be able to browse art pieces on uncluttered space.

(2)
My plan at Still Point Art Gallery is to showcase art that fits a particular theme or idea, rather than to showcase art in general. The idea is to attract both artists and buyers by that idea. This year we are holding three exhibitions - Still Point I, Dwellings, and Autumnal Colors. Is a generic online art gallery as likely to attract artists and buyers as an online art gallery showing an exhibition called "Autumnal Colors?" I would tend to gravitate toward the latter, at least initially.

(3)
My plan at Still Point Art Gallery is to think differently about marketing. An online gallery is going to require a different way to reach both artists and buyers. Who buys art? Well, interior designers, design consultants, art enthusiasts, artists, ...actually, everybody buys art. We're utilizing listservs, online publications for artists, social networking sites, contact lists, and online advertising. We also are not excluding print advertising. The goal is to circulate the name of the Gallery as widely as possible.

So, I think I've expressed the vision for my Gallery. I'm excited about this new adventure! I'm very excited about the wonderful art I will show and the great artists who will work with me!
Christine

Return to Still Point Art Gallery

Christine Brooks Cote
Still Point Art Gallery
February 13, 2009

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your new gallery and your thoughts and focus on stillness. I think of stillness as a way of being that allows me to connect to my source energy. By becoming still, in mind and body, I am able to explore this inner source. The energy here is always creative; not just artistically but may manifest itself in all aspects of life. For instance, sometimes while in the shower I can also tap into this energy source and resolve an issue that has eluded me. There my mind is quieted by the feeling of the warm water on my body. Information and energy is allowed to flow in and out without interruption. When I am in my studio, it is this place of stillness that I go to for inspiration and original content. I am presently exploring trees as their countenance exudes stillness. Without language or movement, they impart their strength and stoic wisdom.

    ReplyDelete